Saturday, April 21, 2012

A RADICAL BREAK

Today's promise: The gift of salvation
A radical break
You will show me the way of life, granting me the joy of your presence and the pleasures of living with you forever.
Psalm 16:11 NLT

It takes a radical break to turn a man from earth's trash to heaven's treasure.
Vance Havner
Slave to freedom
At age 16, I craved freedom. I dropped out of high school, got kicked out of my house, and began living for myself. Six weeks later, I began to realize how unsatisfied I was. My so-called freedom had made me a slave to desires that were quickly destroying me. The world had lied to me. Power, pleasure, and popularity had not satisfied me. I was empty and alone.
So I turned to God. I desperately needed fixing; who better to turn to than my own personal Creator and Designer? Alone in my Florida apartment, I go on my knees and asked God's forgiveness. I begged him to change me.
Life is quite different now. Things I used to live for don't matter anymore, and I hunger for things I used to run away from. God has not taken away my excitement; he has changed what I get excited about. For the first time in my life, I'm content. God has taught me that only he can satisfy my eternal longing for pleasure and peace.
Tullian Tchividhian in Prodigals and Those Who Love Them
It's much better to entrust our lives to God. When we let him call the shots as we take the role of willing and faithful servants, life begins running more smoothly. As David wrote, "Lord, you alone are my inheritance, my cup of blessing. You guard all that is mine" (Psalm 16:5). May your prayer be like David's: "Show me the way of life, granting me the joy of your presence and the pleasures of living with you forever" (Psalm 16:11).
Adapted from Men of Integrity Devotional Bible with devotions from the editors of Men of Integrity, a publication of Christianity Today International (Tyndale, 2002), entry for May 4.
Content is derived from the Holy Bible, New Living Translation and other publications of Tyndale Publishing House

No comments:

Post a Comment