Tuesday, April 10, 2012

THE POWER OF SOFT ANSWERS

THE POWER OF SOFT ANSWERS

READ:
Proverbs 15:14

A soft answer turns away wrath,
but a harsh word stirs up anger.
-Proverbs 15:1

My car broke down in a tunnel during rush hour in downtown Boston.  Angry drivers expressed their frustration as they struggled past me.  Eventually, the car was towed to a station for repairs.  Later it broke down again, stranding me along the Interstate at 2 a.m.  Back to the shop it went.

Unfortunately, the repair shop also doubled as a parking lot during Red Sox baseball games.  When I arrived after work the next day to pick up my car, it was hemmed in by 30 other vehicles!

Let's just say I was less than Christ-like in my initial reaction.  I ranted and raved, and then, realizing it was only making them less willing to help me at the close of their day, I decided to give up.  I stormed toward the glass doors and struggled to get them open.  My anger increased when the station workers laughed at me.

I had barely made it out when I realized how unlike Christ I'd been.  Chastened, I rapped on the locked doors and mouthed "I'm sorry" to the staff inside.  They were stunned!  They let me back in, and I meekly told them that Christians shouldn't behave as I had.  Minutes later, they were shifting cars to free up mine.  I learned the truth that soft rather than harsh words can change circumstances (Proverbs 15:1). -Randy Kilgore

O may I find in anger's grip
The strength to temper tongue and lip;
But failing that, may God grant me
The courage for apology. -Kilgore
********************************
A soft answer has often been
the means of breaking a hard heart.

INSIGHT
The use of the tongue (a metaphor for speech) is one of the most common topics of the book of Proverbs.  The tongue is mentioned in 19 verses, covering everything from a lying tongue-which God hates (6:17)-to the benefit of restrained use (21:23).  The book of James also attests to the power of the tongue:  "Even so the tongue is a little member and boasts great things.  See How great a forest a little fire kindles...No man can tame the tongue"  (James 3:5, 8).  Indeed, as Proverbs makes clear, "Death and life are in the power of the tongue" (18:21).

Have a blessed night.
God Our Creator's Love Always
Unity & Peace

No comments:

Post a Comment