Wednesday, January 30, 2013

HOW DOES YOUR LIFE REFLECT GOD'S FORGIVENESS?

Today's promise: God is always willing to forgive us
How does your life reflect God's forgiveness?
Brothers, listen! In this man Jesus there is forgiveness of sins.
Acts 13:38 NLT


Be kind to each other, tenderhearted, forgiving one another, just as God through Christ has forgiven you.
Ephesians 4:32 NLT

Proclaiming God's forgiveness
Proclamation of the Good News of God's forgiveness is what my Christian testimony is all about. That includes forgiveness within my marriage. There is great testimony of God's power when I forgive Teresa as He has forgiven me.
Nothing about myself wants to forgive. It is only through the work of the Holy Spirit that I am able to forgive. Forgiveness is a divine reality that I must first receive from my Creator. Only then can the Spirit prompt me to share that forgiveness with others.
I remember when God humbled me with this truth through the words of Isaiah 53:4-6. Christ took on my sickness of selfishness and pride and carried my pain to the cross. Jesus was pierced for my harsh words and snippy attitudes with my wife. He was crushed by my "white lies" and subtle dishonesty. The Savior took on the punishment for my years of neglecting my wife and forgetting my kids.
Because of Christ's forgiveness, Teresa and I can proclaim that it is possible to live in harmony with one another. We are grateful to be able to proclaim God's work in our marriage, to be able to demonstrate to those around us that we don't go to sleep with unforgiveness or bitterness in our hearts. This testimony has only been possible through the divine provision of His forgiveness.
Adapted from The One Year® Book of Devotions for Couples by David and Teresa Ferguson, Tyndale House Publishers (2004), entry for June 5
Content is derived from the Holy Bible, New Living Translation and other publications of Tyndale Publishing House

No comments:

Post a Comment