Sunday, November 25, 2012

WHEN FEAR CREEPS IN

WHEN FEAR CREEPS IN

READ:
Psalm 56

Whenever I am afraid, I will
trust in [God].  -Psalm 56:3

When my daughter exclaimed, "Mommy, a bug!"  I looked where she was pointing and saw the largest spider I have ever encountered outside of a pet shop.   Both the spider and I knew that he would not be allowed to stay in our house.  And yet, as I faced him, I found I could not take one step closer to end the stand-off.  My pulse quickened.  I swallowed and gave myself a pep-talk.  Still, fear kept me frozen in place.

Fear is powerful; it can override logical thinking and produce irrational behavior.  Thankfully, Christians don't have to let fear of anything-people, situations, or even spiders-rule our actions.  We can declare, "Whenever I am afraid, I will trust in [God]" (Psalm 56:3).

Taking this stand against fear is consistent with the Bible's instruction to "trust in the LORD with all your heart, and lean not on your own understanding" (Proverbs 3:5).  Our own understanding may lead us to overestimate the object of our fear and underestimate God's power.  When we are afraid, we can depend on God's understanding (Isaiah 40:28). and trust in His love for us that "casts out fear" (1 John 4:18). The next time fear creeps into your life, don't panic.  God can be trusted in the darkness. - Jennifer Benson Schuldt

Into His hands I lay the fears that haunt me,
The dread of future ills that may befall;
Into His hands I lay the doubts that taunt me,
And rest securely, trusting Him for all.  - Christiansen
********************************************
Trusting God's faithfulness dispels our fearfulness.

Have a blessed day and week ahead.
God Our Creator's Love Always
Unity & Peace


No comments:

Post a Comment