Wednesday, March 14, 2012

HAS GOD CALMED YOU FEAR?

Today's promise: God cares for the persecuted

Has God calmed your fear?

In my distress I prayed to the Lord and the Lord answered me and rescued me. The Lord is for me, so I will not be afraid. What can mere mortals do to me? Yes, the Lord is for me; he will help me.
Psalm 118:5-7 NLT

Prayer offers us a way out of our fear. It is all a matter of calling upon Jesus' name. Only in His name is there help. The more we call upon His name, the more we will experience this truth.
Mother Basilea Schlink (1904-2001)

The Lord is for me

Today's verses tell us that the psalmist was in a frightening situation. But in his distress, he cried out to God in prayer. Because of God's presence and strength in response to his plea, the psalmist could look in triumph at those who hated and attacked him. For every difficulty and trial, God has prepared a way. His eyes are on those who trust in him in their distress, and his ears are attentive to their cries. You can know and rest assured that just as God was for David, he is for you! And because the all-powerful Lord who is on your side is your shield and defender, you do not have to be afraid. The Lord is greater than any problem, greater than any fear, greater than any person opposing you. Thank him for his help in past situations when there seemed to be n o way out, and trust him and thank him for being "for you" today.

LORD, thank you for answering me and helping me in my distress. Thank you for being for me! That truth is amazing to me and assures me of your concern for me. Help me to resolve not to be afraid because the Lord of the universe is on my side!

Adapted from The One Year® Book of Praying through the Bible by Cheri Fuller, Tyndale House Publishers (2003), entry for May 21.

Digging Deeper: For more on facing persecution, read Jerry Jenkin's Shadowed, a novel about keeping faith in the last days. Tyndale House Publishers (hardcover 2005, softcover 2006).
Content is derived from the Holy Bible, New Living Translation and other publications of Tyndale Publishing House

No comments:

Post a Comment