Monday, May 6, 2013

ALWAYS PREPARING

ALWAYS PREPARING

READ:
2 Timothy 2:19-26

If anyone cleanses himself from
[dishonor[, he will be a vessel for
honor,...prepared for every good
work.  -2 Timothy 2:21

While my son was home for an extended visit, he knocked on my office door one morning and asked me what I was doing.  "I'm preparing for Sunday school," I told him.  Then, thinking about all the time I spend in my office, I said, "It seems like I'm always preparing for something."

I'm grateful for the opportunities God gives me to reach out to others.  There's some stress, though when you're always getting something ready for somebody.  It's hard to balance priorities with the pressure to prepare a lesson, a message, or a document continually on your mind.

This idea of constant preparation intrigued me, so I checked the Bible to see if it talks about the subject.  I found that we are called to always be preparing.  A heart dedicated to God must be prepared to serve Him (1 Samuel 7:3).  We are to be ready to do good works (2 Timothy 2:21) and to defend scriptural truth (1 Peter 3:15).  And Paul reminds us that even our giving takes planning (2 Corinthians 9:5).

That's just a start.  Living a life that pleases the Lord takes mental, spiritual, and physical preparation.  But we don't need to stress, because He will enable us with His power.  Let's ask God to guide us as we prepare to serve, honor, and tell others about Him. - Dave Branon

Savior, like a shepherd lead us,
Much we need Thy tender care;
In thy pleasant pastures feed us,
For our use Thy folds prepare. - Thrupp
*********************************
The best preparation for tomorrow is
the right use of today.

INSIGHT
It is important to remember that Paul's first audience for this letter was not a church or a public gathering of any kind.  His audience was a young man in ministry who needed help, guidance, and mentoring.  In today's text, there are three definitive themes.  The first paragraph reminds Timothy where solid footing for life can be found.  The second reminds him of the value of being a vessel useful to the Master.  The third shows him what such a life embraces and avoids.

Have a blessed day.
God Our Creator's Love Always
Unity & Peace

No comments:

Post a Comment