Tuesday, July 16, 2013

HOW SHOULD I PRAY?

Today's promise: Our prayers bring us into God's presence
How should I pray?
For days I mourned, fasted, and prayed to the God of heaven.
Nehemiah 1:4 NLT

Pray like this:
Our Father in heaven, may Your name be honored.
May Your Kingdom come soon.
May Your will be done here on earth, just as it is in heaven.
Give us our food for today, and forgive us our sins, just as we have forgiven those who have sinned against us.
And don't let us yield to temptation, but deliver us from the evil one.
Matthew 6:9-13 NLT
Aligning my will to God's
E. Stanley Jones described the effect of prayer on us like this:

Prayer is not pulling God to my will, but the aligning of my will to the wil l of God. Aligned to God's redemptive will, anything, everything can happen in character, conduct, and creativeness. The whole person is heightened by that prayer contact. In that contact I find health for my body, illumination for my mind, and moral and spiritual reinforcement for my soul. "Prayer is a time exposure to God," so I expose myself to God for an hour and a half or two hours a day, asking less and less for things and more and more for Himself. For having Him, I have everything. He gives me what I need for character, conduct, and creativeness, so I'm rich with His riches, strong in His strength, pure in His purity, and able in His ability.
quoted by R. Kent Hughes in 1001 Great Stories and Quotes (Tyndale House) p 326
Content is derived from the Holy Bible, New Living Translation and other publications of Tyndale Publishing House

No comments:

Post a Comment